Cotton is arguably the world’s dirtiest crop.
Though more expensive than ‘normal’ cotton, SUPREMEBEING™ use 100% certified organic cotton from trusted suppliers in India, who use only natural fertilizers and no insecticides or herbicides that are harmful to humans or the environment.
Water recycling is extensively used in the manufacturing processes to minimize use.
All workers are paid fairly, work normal hours and receive other positive employee benefits.
Our organic cotton is ring spun and feels good on the skin, wears well and washes well.
The problems with ‘normal’ cotton as a fashion fabric are:
- Cotton growing utilizes 2.5% of the world’s arable land but consumes 16% of all fertilizers. Many of the fertilizers used are harmful to the environment, particularly synthetic nitrogen fertilizers that leach into the soil and runoff into freshwater habitats and wells causing serious contamination.
- These fertilizers are a major contributor to increased N2O emissions, which are 300 times more potent than CO2 as greenhouse gas. Alarmingly, usage is on the increase.
- Cotton growing uses more than 10% of the pesticides (including herbicides, insecticides, and defoliants) and approximately 25% of the world's insecticides. Many of the insecticides are harmful to humans. Aldicarb, Parathion, and Methamidophos, three of the most acutely hazardous insecticides to human health as determined by the World Health Organization
- In normal manufacturing it takes an astonishing 2,700 litres (600 gallons) of water to produce a pound of cotton ie a single T Shirt.
5. Women and children are often used as effectively slave labour to pick the crop.SUPREMEBEING™ design products for frequent wear and a long life, encouraging our customers to buy less but buy better.